Sunday, May 8, 2016

Jonny Gamer's Opinion

"I've been playing video games for a long time, I picked up my first gaming controller when i was 5, and I've seen both sides of this argument. Obsession and aggressive behavior are serious, real problems that can be caused by excessive gaming. But 'Excessive' is one of the key words there, because the vast majority of people who play games don't end up in those situations of obsession and violence. You only really hear about the bad cases because those are the ones that get media attention, they're more interesting than the stories about a quadriplegic finding joy in life again from being able to play games with a modified controller. Yes, there are downsides to video games, but there are also tons of positives that often get ignored by the media. The communities for online multiplayer games are incredibly tight-knit, I've met some of my best friends through them, and the social support provided by fellow gamers has helped me through a lot of rough patches in my life. Gamers are constantly beset by arguments from parents and other older people about how games are anti-social or can stunt your social growth, but I have to disagree. Multiplayer games like World of Warcraft connect players with thousands of other people across the globe and allows gamers to make legitimate connections with them. The most important thing to consider in this argument is that there ARE both positive and negative aspects to gaming, and as a community it's our duty to look at both sides of the argument as objectively as we can. Neither the pros nor the cons can be ignored, and it's up to us to find a middle ground.”

- Johnny Gamer

1 comment:

  1. Suburban Susan Replies: "I appreciate the fact that you are looking at both sides of the argument here. The positives of these games do seem worth looking into, but from what I've seen the negatives far outweigh them for me. Regardless of whether these games improve my children's social or coordination skills doesn't much matter to me if they're also driving them to violence and obsession. I certainly think you're right that the issue needs to be looked at from both sides to get a more objective perspective, but none of the positives excuse the negative effects of these games. Something must be done to push the industry away from encouraging violent behavior and supporting obsession for their monetary gain.”

    ReplyDelete